- ANYONE—even an 18 year old car mechanic—can hang out a shingle and practice as a midwife and
- Hairdressers must be licensed to practice in Massachusetts but midwives do not. Should a “cut and color” be regulated and have professional practice requirements while MA midwives currently have none?
How to help?
CALL your own STATE REPRESENTATIVE
You can find contact information for your representative at the following link: http://wheredoivotema.com/bal/myelectioninfo.php
- GIVE them an update on the bill, HB 4253—An Act Relative to Certified Professional Midwives—and let them know the bill is now with the House Ways and Means committee
- ASK them to contact Chairman Dempsey’s office (617-722-2990) (representing Haverill and Chair, House Ways & Means Committee) to REQUEST that HB 4253 BE RELEASED TO THE HOUSE FLOOR FOR A VOTE ASAP
- ASK them to then support the bill when it reaches the House Floor
- URGE them to tell their colleagues to support the bill on the House Floor
The calls will take TWO minutes or less. Please pass this on to friends, family, neighbors and anyone else to also make calls. We need to flood the State House!
Want to do more?
PLEASE reach out to Massachusetts HOUSE LEADERSHIP
(see listing at the end of this message), letting them know:
- This bill is important to you
- That this bill is being supported by House leaders
Also, we will be at the State House on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons this week (7/25 and 7/26). Please join us! Drop a quick email to Ann Sweeney at email@example.com, and we’ll let you know where to rendezvous with us.
Text of the bill can be found on the State House website: http://www.malegislature.gov/Bills/187/House/H04253
Please help us in spreading the word and passing this legislation into law!
Keep the calls coming!!! We need EVERYONE to call to get this done!
Make a difference! Make it count.
Here is how you do more:
CALL more Massachusetts HOUSE LEADERSHIP
- Rep. Haddad—very supportive—617-722-2600
- Speaker DeLeo—he is aware of the bill—seems to understand need for it—617-722-2500
- Rep. Reinstein—very supportive and a co sponsor—617-722-2180
- Rep. Moran (Boston and Brookline)—supportive and a co-sponsor— 617-722-2006
- Rep. Story (Amherst)—very supportive—617-722-2012
- Rep. Donato—seems supportive—617-722-2040
- Rep. Mariano—has always supported licensure bills—617-722-2300
- Rep. Jones—aide seems supportive—617-722-2100
- Rep. Rushing—617-722-2783
- Rep. Bradley—617-722-2520
- Miriam Khalsa (Mass Midwives Alliance) 508-655-7885 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Audra Karp (Mass Midwives Alliance) 617-522-8383 (email@example.com)
- Ann Sweeney (Mass Friends of Midwives) 617-254-6175/617-901-2777 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Krina Patel (The Suffolk Group) 617-303-4570 (email@example.com)